Certain occupations lead people into contact with human trafficking victims more often than others.
Educating yourself and your co-workers can lead to trafficking cases being reported more often.
ARE YOU AN AIRPORT OR AIRLINE EMPLOYEE?
Victims can be moved domestically or internationally, and employees within the airports or on the flights themselves should be looking out for victims of trafficking. Child brides and women being forced into marriage were at one point instructed to hide spoons in their clothing before walking through security Flight attendants have reported and saved victims that they have noticed being controlled or groomed on flights. Delta Airlines became the first airline to offer training to their employees on the signs of human trafficking. Right now, the Association of Flight Attendants is calling for anti-human trafficking training to be made mandatory for flight attendants. Make sure you know the signs of human trafficking, and check out the resources below.
Additional signs to look for:
If the individual in question:
• Appear distressed, coerced, or injured
• Have few or no personal possessions carried in small or plastic bags
• Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
• Is being isolated or shielded from view.
• Lacks of knowledge of whereabouts
• Has lost their sense of time
• Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story
• Is fearful, anxious, depressed, tense, nervous or paranoid
• Exhibits anxious behavior upon discussing engaging law enforcement
• Avoids eye contact
• Appears malnourished
• Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
• Has few or no personal possessions
• Is not in control of his/her own money
• Is not in control of his/her own identification documents
• Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present and/or translating)
• Is given information, including a name and/or back story, to memorize and or relate
• Appears to be drugged
• Is dressed in shabby clothes, but travels with adults who are well dressed